Thursday

How a Blender Changed the Way I Eat for the Better

How One Small Appliance Can Make a Huge Difference in Your Diet

I'll admit I love to wander around in places like Sur La Table and Williams Sonoma.  Everything is so pretty and perfect. Alas, my favorite dream toys are also pricey.  I'm a budget oriented kind of girl.  I can rarely justify a splurge in the kitchen, even though my husband and I dine in more often than out.  I've been lusting after a Vitamix for years.  I see them on just about every food network show.  All the chefs are cramming things into them, cranking them up, and pouring out perfect sauces and soups.  I've even seen the lady doing a demo in person who makes it look so simple to throw some veggies in a blender and produce a tasty, healthy treat.  Yeah, right.  There's got to be a trick.  Something I don't know.

My old blender coughed and wheezed it's way through any attempt I made to make a smoothie or soup.  Forget about adding ice.  It simply wasn't going to happen.  Large chunks of ice always remained.  I gave up.  The blender sat on the counter gathering dust.  I stopped buying so many fruits and veggies because I felt they were just going to waste.  Then one day my loving husband asked the question most married women would dread.  "Is it okay if I get you something for the kitchen for your birthday?"  I say most because I couldn't say yes fast enough.  He beamed.  I crossed my fingers and hoped, hoped, hoped.  Finally, a big cardboard box arrived on our doorstep.  "Open it." he said.  I grabbed the scissors and got down to the task of unwrapping what was soon to be not only my favorite, but the most used small appliance in our kitchen.  I read all the literature and recipes that first day.  I washed it and put it on the counter.  Then I stared at it, not sure what the first recipe should be.  I decided to start simple with a green smoothie.  I carted myself off to the grocery store and bought the organic produce section.  The next morning I bounded out of bed like a kid on christmas morning.  I followed the instructions to a T.  I turned it on, cranked it up, and not 30 seconds later I had my first real deal green smoothie.  I giggled as I poured it into the glass.  I took a sip and danced a little jig.  So creamy, so tart and sweet and nary a chunk of ice to be found.  I poured a glass for my husband and we toasted to a new healthier lifestyle we were about to embark on together.  I made soup in the blender that night and marveled at the steam rising out of the top after only 7 minutes. Who knew?

I joke that it's like having a Ferrari parked in our carport of a kitchen, but I am in love.  I make sorbets, soups, smoothies and sauces all the time now which means I am in control of everything.  How much sugar, how much salt, even the type of ingredients I want to use.  A low sodium, organic, creamy, rich, gluten free soup is now only a few minutes away.  No more guessing or settling for close enough.  I preach to anyone who will listen.  My mother finally caved and bought one.  Now she has caught the Vitamix bug and it makes me very happy to know that she too will soon start seeing the benefits of taking control of what goes into your body.  After all, she always said, your are what you eat and well... turns out... she was right.

P.S.  It also makes killer margaritas ;)



  Product Review disclosure:  I am an affiliate salesperson for Vitamix.  I only recommend products or services I use personally and can personally recommend.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


No comments:

Post a Comment